Tuesday, May 5, 2009

www.tiny.url.bit.ly.wherethehellismybrand?

Its been a little while since I have posted, which tends to mean the job search is going well. More on that in a minute.

But, for now, today's rant. URL shorteners. What the hell? I understand the value of a huge string of characters (which means something only to a server) being shortened to a very concise URL. But, when the URLs get shortened, so does the brand name. So for example, instead of someone sending me an article at www.wired.com/xyzalkdfhasdlkfjasdlfk, I am now getting bit.ly/?fo. I get the convenience factor, but if I am Wired Magazine, I would rather have the former URL so that people know that I am responsible for the content. That way, I can use my URLs to build my brand.

It would be interesting if a brand decided to take action and mandate their URLs contain their brand names. I wonder if that could happen? Like a Google trademark letter but for URL shortners? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment