Sunday, June 20, 2010

When Social Media Goes Right

So, once I ended my tenure at Starwood, I decided that for me to be successful, I needed to practice "personal distribution". What does that mean? "Burt", the brand, is about creativity, ideas, relationships. Since I believe that Social Media is a tactic, not a strategy, it was one of the tactics I employed for self promotion. My FaceBook account, LinkedIn account, blogs, twitter, youtube, flickr, etc all became ways for me to promote myself.

What has it gotten me? For one, a job at Knowledge Universe. On top of that, I have been a published photographer (http://amzn.to/cZ2MUE) in two books, and was most recently asked to speak to a group of 200 about Mountain Climbing. Its actually pretty incredible when you think about it. I have spent some time marketing myself, and not in push marketing. But, as people look for information, they are finding me!

The web offers a ton of free distribution. As we all know, anyone, or any brand, would be crazy not to take complete advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment